Week 8

Topic 1
    I have heard about the banned book list many times over the years. I also recall one of my teachers in high school having a poster which was a list of either all the banned books or books that had been banned once (I can't quite remember). I always was interested in the banned book list probably because it was something you weren't supposed to be "doing," so all the more reason for me to want to. But I haven't been the biggest reader, I like to read, but it's not often anymore that I pick up a book. I buy too many of them and then they sit. That's sad.
Anyways, many of the books on the list I have at least heard of, while most I have not read. I have read The Harry Potter series, two of the Twilight books, Scary Stories (in elementary school). I have only seen the TV versions of Thirteen Reasons Why and when I was about 9 years old Little Bill came out. I never cared much for it.


    I am a bit on the fence or undecided when it comes to public schools and banning books, as for libraries they should have all titles available. I kind of feel like kids need to be a certain age before reading certain content so I could see how there could be some limitations on books in that case. Determining that age can be tough as well. But once they are that age and above I think that kids should be able to have access to controversial and or "banned" books. I have also considered the idea of basically warning the child about what he/she might expect from the book. I feel like the banned book list is mostly just made because people get angry about a subject and rally around it. Usually religious groups/parents, at least I assume from reading the 'reasons' given for wanting a book banned. 


   I actually own quite a few books and used to read a lot more than I do now. Right by my bed I have four books ready to read (lol). Three of those four I have started, but not finished. There's "In the Woods" by Tana French, "Missing Girls" by Megan Miranda, "The Graveyard Book," by Neil Gaiman, and "With love and Laughter, John Ritter," by Amy Yasbeck (his widow). I am a big John Ritter fan...yet I still haven't finished the book. I typically read murder mystery books, or murder mystery with a twist of scifi. I do like some fantasy type books such as Harry Potter, but I usually stick to the real crime or fictional murder mysteries. Some authors I really like are Alice Sebold, Mitch Albom, Charlaine Harris, and Lisa Jackson to name a few.  



Topic 2
   When I was younger, as a teen I used to read "Cosmo Girl." I have never been big into magazines though. I have had several subscriptions to Cosmopolitan, People, and some fitness type magazine, Shape. Those were all free subscriptions through some offer such as like T-Mobile Tuesday. When I was younger, as a teen, I used to enjoy taking all those stupid quizzes they'd put in, and also the really embarrassing stories people would send in. Honestly, now a days I could care less about reading magazines, unless it's like scientific or something similar otherwise its mostly garbage now. (at least the ones I am referring too)


  I have a copy of Shape from December 2017. The very first page is a Lipstick ad for L'Oreal Paris, the next ad is for snow sports gear like skiing, its called Spyder. There's a ton of lotion ads, shampoo ads, some Blue Basics pet food ad. Etc. A range of things, no alcohol ads as far as I could tell since it's a health/athletics magazine. 
I have 2 Cosmopolitans from July & August of this year, I hadn't even realized they'd arrived. I mostly agreed to the subscription because my 15 year old niece normally likes to take and read them. There's hair dye ads again from L'Oreal, hydro boost face cream from Neutrogena, some kind of perfume from Chanel. More perfumes, more makeup, more skin care, etc. It's all the same stuff, from different brands targeted towards women for "looking their best."  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 7 Project