Week 4 project

I chose the most recent Allstate "Mayhem" commercial for my blog project. Allstate Insurance has been using this character for a few years now and I've pretty much always found the commercials to be funny. 
Heres a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otoAdAMsjUU

The commercial is actually quite short at just roughly 30 seconds long, and it features the actor that always plays "Mayhem," Dean Winters. I have seen him in several things, but what comes to mind is when he was in Law and Order SVU. It opens with a song that ALWAYS (irritatingly) gets stuck in my head, which is "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups. Mayhem is a 4 year old boy who is meant to be the ring bearer, but being Mayhem he swallows the wedding rings and walks down the aisle to then throw the ring pillow at the couple. It premiered this last June and is still playing on TV now.

Allstate does to chose to use a somewhat recognizable actor for their commercials so I feel there is that appeal there. They're saying in an ordinary situation that unusual things can come up, Mayhem can show up. So you're thinking you're going to get married and have this little four year old ring bearer, but instead he swallows the rings and runs away. So you need to be prepared for the unexpected. That's the overall message and of course it's from an insurance company, to prepare you for the unexpected. This commercial is associated with insurance like I just said, but I don't always remember that it's Allstate, the character Mayhem becomes the association and not the company hes representing in my mind.

I find this ad unique, humorous and the guy is playing a concept rather than a person, the concept of mayhem occurring. In this instance the target audience is primarily younger people, middle class couples who would be getting married who might need insurance starting out. Nothing about this ad offends me, I did see a comment on this website that gives information about the commercial where some ladies complaining about it, but whatever. This is the website, it does give extra information about the commercial..
Here's the link: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dIbd/allstate-mayhem-ring-bearer-song-by-the-dixie-cups

One of the ads strengths is definitely the main character. Dean Winters has been playing Mayhem since April of 2010 with a few breaks in between so its a very well developed, recognizable character and concept. Another strength is that pretty much everyone has been to or been in a wedding and can relate to things that might go wrong, so this commercial as well as their others are quite relatable. I think these commercials are very memorable for the reasons just stated and because I honestly just love the character he makes it funny! One last thing is the woman who's trying to coax him to do his ring bearer duties is also quite relatable. We all know someone like her, infact she reminded me of multiple ladies I know. 

As previously stated these commercials featuring Mayhem for Allstate Insurance started in April 2010 which surprised me I hadn't realized they'd been running for that many years. Mayhem actually has his "own" Facebook page with over 1.9 million "fans," that funny enough I actually had already previously liked! Ha. I had forgotten I'd ever looked it up on Facebook.
He also has a twitter with over 113,000 followers as well. 
As stated in the link below, in 2011 Mayhem was actually the 3rd most recognizable insurance character
Here's the link: http://adage.com/article/news/insurance-ad-war-consumers/148994/
In all reality the insurance characters are actually what I kind of think of when I think of recognizable memorable commercials. Each insurance company seems to have at least one or more memorable character. Progressive, Farmers, Allstate, and Geico all have theirs. 
While I like the character I currently have better insurance coverage than they offer so I can't say I'd recommend it, but if I were in the market for insurance I'd check Allstate out. Id check them all out though, but Allstate seems worth looking into...

Heres "his" twitter: https://twitter.com/Mayhem?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Here's "his" facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mayhemhere/?ref=br_rs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

Week 2

Week 7 Project